All content copyright to Badgertails [K C Badger] unless otherwise credited. Powered by Blogger.

Pages

June Garden | 2013

by - Thursday, June 20, 2013


Well a big hello to you all today!
Sorry I haven't said hello in a while, once again the last few weeks have been super hectic. We're in the middle of redecorating another room in the house, so I'll put a post up about that once it's all done and dusted.


I know a lot of you follow my activity on Instagram and I'm quite often posting photos about my garden... so I thought it about time I did a full post about what's happening in mine at the moment.

I am an incredibly keen gardener and dabbled in it a wee bit last year, but I've only got really into it this spring. I'd been so excited to get out and get working, but that darn snow kept foiling my plans. I don't know masses about how to do it and what to grow, but I've certainly been learning an awful lot over the last few months. I was a bit delayed in getting outside due to the cold, which meant I missed all of the frosts before planting anything vulnerable, so I haven't had to worry about frost-proofing yet... All of that is still to come. (eek!)

So here are a few photos of what I'm growing in my garden this year.



My birthday clematis. I was given two of them back in March by my parents and finally found some cheap trellises a few weeks ago. (From Wilkinsons, but I can't find them on their website!) They're now growing happily up each trellis and I can't wait for them to start flowering. (Whenever that will be).



English Marigolds, or Calendula to be precise. I bought them as I have a gentle fondness for marigolds but didn't really know what to do with them. So, they're dotted around in pots and my low basket and I can't believe how tall they've grown in just two weeks since putting them in. I now want to get some French Marigolds too, as I love their ruffly petals and bright, warm welcomes.



Lilac lobelia. A trailing variety of this plant that produces a flurry of tiny flowers. The dark blue variety is beautiful, too, but as you know I have a slight love for pastels, so couldn't resist this lilac one. This is in one of my window boxes, dotted amongst a couple of blue ageratum plants.


Sweet peas. Oh my, what a favourite! I've grown these from small plants and they're getting rather tall now. I'm literally about to burst waiting for them to flower. To me, their scent is a heavenly mixture of tea leaves and fresh air, and possibly my all-time favourite smell.



Call me crazy, but I think of sweet peas as the cute plant. Simply because every time I check on them, new little tendrils have grown and stretched out towards the closest support. I adore their little curly stalks that allow them to grow stronger. I tried to grow some in P's garden last year, before it became my garden. I failed a little with everything I tried to grow last year, as I wasn't about enough to tend to it all.

This year, I'm out there every evening keeping an eye on my little plants and thinking about how it'll all look when everything's in flower. These beauties are very precious to me this time around as I just want to sit and smell the delicate, pearlescent flowers on long sunny evenings, and no-one is going to stop me!



French lavender. I love lavender and bought this one at a county fair a while back. I've been warned about the frosts with this one so when the chill eventually comes, she'll be coming inside to keep warm.



The very gorgeous petunias. I think this collection is called 'Poetry,' as it consists of all (surprise surprise) pastel colours! I had to get them in the pastel shades, but I would quite like some bright pink and mauve ones to sit by the front door. I said to P I was done buying plants, but I'm feeling another garden centre trip coming on.... !



Aquilegia! So understated, they really are. Being a May flower, the petals are regularly dropping off all of mine now. If you like them, (also known as Granny Bonnets) they grow like a weed so grab some seeds and spread them about! They don't seem to need any attention and they just look beautiful.



I didn't know this until recently, but the bees also seem to like them. Any friend of Mr. Bumble is a friend of mine! I love bees, and I'm trying to make sure my garden is very bee friendly. (Minus Roma the cat, of course!)



Last but not least, (never, ever least) are my dahlias. This is the first year I've grown them and the flowers are a lot smaller than they look here. I bought some plants from Homebase and planted some mixed colour tubers myself. One of the tubers has grown about 6 inches tall in the last couple of weeks and I'm oh so excited to see what colour it will be.

This is just a small selection of the plants I've got, I haven't posted about my rose, peony, ixia or hydrangeas as none of them are flowering yet. I'll save those beauties for another time!




Knowing a restricted amount about gardening, I'm having so much fun growing whatever I fancy, and learning all about how to look after it along the way. I find a warm evening pottering around the flowerbeds until it gets too dark to see one of the most relaxing things in the world. At that time, all the local children are tucked up in bed, everyone else is settled down in front of the tv and there's nothing but you, the flowers and the evening birdsong. I thoroughly recommend giving it a try.

Thanks for reading today and if you're after any advice, or would love to have a chat about getting started with gardening, feel free to drop me a line. I'm just starting out myself, and would love it if you came to share the journey with me...


To see how my July garden's progressing click here!

You May Also Like

0 comments